Learn to Swim
Sign up for Certified American Red Cross Swim Instruction for all ages.
The Green Chimneys Learn to Swim program offers certified instruction in aquatic skills and water safety to swimmers from 3.5 years old and up. The objective is to teach people how to swim and to be safe in, on and around water. We follow the American Red Cross curriculum and guidelines. All lessons are conducted in our heated, indoor pool. All instructors are American Red Cross Certified.
Preschool Aquatics: 3.5-5 years old
Aims to promote developmentally appropriate learning of fundamental water safety and aquatic skills in a logical progression. All American Red Cross standards are followed. Each session is 30 minutes.
• LEARNING to become comfortable in and around water, how to blow bubbles and put their face in the water, how to float with support of the instructor and/or noodle
• NEEDS support from a noodle and/or instructor to swim across the pool
• MAY need some assistance swimming across the pool but MAY be capable without support
• WORKING ON treading water using arms and legs, and floating without support of the instructor or noodle
Learn-to-Swim: 6+ years old
Teaches aquatic skills and water safety to experienced swimmers. All American Red Cross standards are followed. Each session is 45 minutes.
Level 1: Introduction to Water Skills
• CAN swim the width of the pool with support of a noodle, kickboard, or instructor
• WORKING ON swimming the width of the pool without stopping, treading water and floating on their back. MAY require some assistance
Level 2: Fundamental Aquatic Skills
• CAN swim the width of the pool ABOVE WATER, WITHOUT SUPPORT, WITHOUT STOPPING on both their front and back
• CAN tread water and float for 15 seconds each
Level 3: Stroke Development
• CAN swim competently across the deep end of the pool ABOVE WATER, WITHOUT SUPPORT on both their front and back
• LEARNING to swim the length of the pool, floating and treating water for one minute each
Level 4/5: Stroke Improvement and Refinement
• CAN competently execute freestyle/front crawl and elementary backstroke across the length of the pool
• WORKING ON improving stroke specifics of backstroke, freestyle/front crawl, breaststroke, butterfly, sidestroke, and elementary backstroke
• IS strong at treading water and not afraid of diving into the pool
If your child is an advanced swimmer and swims competitively, please contact Natalie Staszak at email@example.com.
Private & Semi-Private Lessons Available
For children and adults of all abilities. See Class Schedule & Fees