American Red Cross Lifeguard and Waterfront Training Course at Green Chimneys
SUMMER 2023 COUrse NOW OPEN
See Training Schedule & Fees for course times and registration.
Green Chimneys offers an American Red Cross Lifeguarding with Waterfront Skills training program that teaches the skills and knowledge needed by professional lifeguards to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies at swimming pool facilities as well as open water, non-surf waterfront facilities. All required CPR and first aid skills are included. This course meets all requirements for first-time certification and re-certification.
American Red Cross Lifeguarding certification provides candidates with the skills and knowledge to prevent, recognize, and respond to aquatic emergencies. This course also provides the skills and knowledge to respond to breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries, and sudden illnesses until emergency services arrive.
Participants who successfully complete the course receive an American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED with Waterfront, valid for 2 years.
- Must be 15 years old on or before final course date
- Must possess strong skills in swim strokes and endurance
- Pass pre-course skills test
- Attend and participate in all scheduled classes
- Pass all written exams with a minimum grade of 80% or higher
- Pass scenario-based skills test
Waterfront Module Pre-course Test requirements include:
- Swim 550 yards continuously
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
> Starting in the water, swim 20 yards
> Surface dive to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object
> Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point
> Exit the water without using a ladder or steps
- Swim 5 yards, submerge and retrieve three dive rings placed 5 yards apart in 4 to 7 feet of water. Resurface and continue to swim another 5 yards to complete the skill sequence
Go to Training Schedule & Fees for available course times and registration.