American Red Cross Lifeguard and Waterfront Lifeguarding Courses at Green Chimneys
swim programs are currently under review for reopening
Please watch this page for updates.
For more information, contact Natalie at firstname.lastname@example.org
An all-inclusive training program teaches the skills and knowledge needed by professional lifeguards to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies at swimming pool facilities as well as open water, non-surf waterfront facilities. All required CPR and first aid skills are included. The course meets all requirements for first-time certification and re-certification.
- Minimum age of 15
- Swim 550 yards (about 500 meters) continuously
- 200 yards front crawl using rhythmic breathing
- 200 yards breaststroke using pull breath, kick, glide
- 200 yards front crawl, breaststroke or combination of both
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive 7-10 feet, retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface, swim 20 yards back to the starting point with the object and exit the water without using a ladder or steps, within 1 minute, 40 seconds
- Swim 5 yards, submerge and retrieve three dive rings placed 5 yards apart in 4-7 feet of water, resurface and swim 5 yards to the side of the pool.
- Completion and competency of pre-course skills and score 80% or better on the final exam.
- Participants must behave maturely and responsibly and must attend all classes.