American Red Cross Lifeguard and Waterfront Lifeguarding Courses at Green Chimneys
An all-inclusive training program teaches the skills and knowledge needed by professional lifeguards to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies at swimming pool facilities as well as open water, non-surf waterfront facilities. All required CPR and first aid skills are included. The course meets all requirements for first-time certification and re-certification.
- Minimum age of 15
- Swim 550 yards (about 500 meters) continuously
- 200 yards front crawl using rhythmic breathing
- 200 yards breaststroke using pull breath, kick, glide
- 200 yards front crawl, breaststroke or combination of both
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive 7-10 feet, retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface, swim 20 yards back to the starting point with the object and exit the water without using a ladder or steps, within 1 minute, 40 seconds
- Swim 5 yards, submerge and retrieve three dive rings placed 5 yards apart in 4-7 feet of water, resurface and swim 5 yards to the side of the pool.
- Completion and competency of pre-course skills and score 80% or better on the final exam.
- Participants must behave maturely and responsibly and must attend all classes.