Guiding with IntentionDecember 4, 2020
From Green Chimneys Executive Director Dr. Edward Placke
This has been a year like no other, and I would like to thank our entire Green Chimneys
community for your support of our students, families, staff, and of course, our animals, during these highly unusual times. Following the closure in March, we all had to think like never before to ensure our services continued with the same level of quality and access for the students and families that count on us every day.
Over the last several months, our staff has embraced the challenges, and the opportunities. It was with great pride and diligence that our staff quickly pivoted to a virtual learning and support environment. The level of professionalism and creativity was exceptional across all departments. Comprehensive summer school and fall reopening plans were developed to ensure all students could maintain their individualized programs. The large majority of students returned to our two school campuses with great success and it has been uplifting to observe the excitement and enthusiasm from both staff and students.
Green Chimneys’ response to COVID-19 was and continues to be driven by the philosophy on how we deliver our services and collaborate with each other to do so.
It is known as our Guiding Principles:
- We value and promote Human-Animal and Nature-Based Interactions, understanding the impact they have on social development and emotional growth.
- We provide supports that are Trauma Informed to create an environment of safety and promote empowerment to the individual while allowing them to heal.
- We provide children, their families, and our staff with opportunities for learning and growth by establishing expectations and goals that are Individualized and Strength Based.
- We are Family Centered, recognizing that families are the experts on their child and that strong family and community connections are essential to positive growth and change and a sense of well-being.
- We believe that Positive Reinforcement creates an environment that fosters growth and the development of skills.
- We value a Collaborative Culture built on professionalism, accountability, respect and the unique contributions of all team members.
- We are committed to constant Quality Improvement through continuous evaluation, research and adaptation.
These seven principles encompass our beliefs and values as an agency, and are the foundation of our shared commitment to the provision of services, the strength of our culture, and the endurance of Green Chimneys.
I thank you for joining us in sustaining this legacy in support of children, animals, and community.
Help Green Chimneys continue to serve children, their families, and the animals.
Gifts received by December 31 will be matched dollar-for-dollar by an anonymous corporate donor. All year-end gifts support Green Chimneys’ therapeutic programs for children and animals.