A one-of-a-kind experience in a culturally diverse recreation program designed to address issues such as socialization, anger management, self-esteem and emotional expression. The Recreation Intern follows a progressive training plan and is supervised by the director of recreation. Interns have the opportunity to develop their skills through hands-on work with children in the Green Chimneys therapeutic day school and residential treatment program.
Recreation Intern: Recreation Management, Creative Arts Therapy, Mental Health Counseling
Recreation interns are expected to help facilitate recreational activities, assist recreation staff with after-school programs, evening groups, off ground trips, and special events, and maintain documentation of assessments, evaluations, and treatment of recreational services offered to residents and day students.
Interns participate in Green Chimneys staff training, which covers all aspects of our adventure programming as well as certification in First Aid/CPR and TCI. Supervision is provided weekly by a licensed creative arts therapist.
Housing may be possible based on availability; however, housing is not available in the summer months.
- Interest in working with children who have emotional and behavioral needs
- College junior or at least 21 years of age
- Commitment of at least three months or length of time determined by school placement
- Experience working with children is helpful but not essential
- Willingness to participate in new situations and an interest in active learning